1073 Cocktails and 238 Bars now listed

Firestarter Banner

Sex on the Beach

The Ingredients

25 ml Vodka / 25 ml Peach Schnapps / 40 ml Orange Juice / 20 ml Cranberry Juice / Orange Slice for Garnish

How To make a Sex on the Beach

  • Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
  • Shake¬†well.
  • Pour into a highball glass filled with ice.
  • Garnish with the orange slice.

Social and Cocktail says:

The Sex on the Beach cocktail is a very popular mixed drink which is the epitome of easy drinking. This fruity highball is a mix of vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice and cranberry juice and tends to be very popular on hot summer evenings on the beach. There is another version of the Sex on the Beach cocktail which is made with vodka, Chambord, Melon liqueur, pineapple juice and cranberry juice. Although this drink is predominantly served as a highball, some bars will also serve it as a shooter. One popular variation of the Sex on the Beach is a Woo Woo which is the same drink only made without the orange juice.

History

The history of the Sex on the Beach cocktail is a little hazy but the most cited story dates back to 1987 when a company called National Distribution began selling peach schnapps, which was new to America at the time. The company came up with a contest in Ft Lauderdale, Florida that they would pay the bar who sold the most peach schnapps $1000 dollars and the bartender who was responsible for the most sales $100. A bartender called Ted Pizio, who worked at a bar called Confettis, mixed vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice and grenadine and the drink started to become very popular. When Ted was asked what it was called, he thought of the reason thousands of people came to Ft. Lauderdale for Spring Break and he called it the “Sex on the Beach”. When people returned to the area and asked for a Sex on the Beach cocktail, many of the local bartenders didn’t know the recipe and hence many variations came into existence and still remain to this day.

Did You Know?

Only 5% of cranberries are sold fresh, whilst the other 95% are turned into cranberry juice, cranberry sauce and other cranberry products.